I was going through a box of notes and I found these on self-pity. I'm sure these thoughts are not original to me, so I don't take credit for them.
Self-pity is the result of unhealed wounds and ungrieved losses. It keeps us stuck in the unresolved past so that we cannot see God's glory now nor have a positive future vision.
Manifestations of the unbroken cycle of self-pity can be, but are not limited to:
- Accusing God
- Feeling abandoned
- Feeling lost
- Rebellion to authority
- "No one really understands me"
- No hope of healing or restoration
- Religiosity replaces genuine spirituality
- Martyr complex
- becoming a slave to comfort
What's the solution?
- The fellowship of His sufferings
- His resurrection power in our lives
- God's love
- Processing each negative thought through God's love
- Seeing life through God's love
- Experiencing liberty